Monday, September 7, 2009

Easy and Delicious!

Please excuse my lack of posting lately. We are still here! We've been enjoying some cooler weather lately (low 90's instead of upper 90's). T started classes last week and we went to the home-opening football game this weekend. We are now in our "fall routine".

Last week I made the recipe below and we all loved it, so I thought I would pass it along. Beef is the meat of choice around our house, but I do make a few chicken dishes each month to add some variety. I've been buying a whole chicken, cooking it, and then shredding and freezing it. Since we do not eat a lot of chicken, this usually lasts us about a month.

I like this dish because it's FAST! My love is baking; cooking seems a little less fun to me. I could bake all day if I didn't have to do dishes :)! I can remember when we had snow days, my sister's and I would bake ( my poor mom!). We made bread, pies, cookies, and all other kinds of good stuff. One year around Christmas I did get to bake all day and my sweet husband stood at the sink all day and washed dishes. So anyways, I am always looking for a quick main dish so that I have time to make the best part of a meal - dessert!

Chicken & Broccoli Pasta

4 oz spaghetti, uncooked
1/4 cup Italian Dressing
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb chicken, cut into strips
2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup tomato chunks
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, divided (I didn't have mozzarella on hand, so I just used cheddar)
4 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese (left this out)

Cook pasta as directed on package.

Meanwhile, heat dressing and garlic in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add chicken and broccoli. Cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Add tomatoes and half of the cheese to skillet; stir to mix lightly. Cook until heated through. Spoon over pasta; toss. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese.

Makes 2 servings, 2 1/2 cups each. ***You could easily double this recipe. I did not double it and the 3 of us ate it for dinner one evening and there was enough left for T to take in his lunch the next day.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

This sounds yummy! Dessert is also my fave thing to cook. :)

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

sounds great! i'm making this for dinner tonight....